Every five years, the Texas Council for Developmental Disabilities (TCDD) is required by federal law to develop a five-year strategic state plan, outlining goals, objectives, and specific activities that will be implemented in each year of the plan. With public input and guidance from the Administration on Disabilities, the state plan is developed in accordance with the requirements of the Developmental Disabilities Assistance and Bill of Rights Act of 2000 (DD Act).
State Plan Requirements
The DD Act, which provides the framework for how goals and objectives are developed, requires that state plans:
- be developed through data-driven strategic planning;
- be derived from the unmet needs of individuals with developmental disabilities (DD) and their families;
- focus on advocacy, capacity building, and systems change;
- reflect the diversity of the state; and
- address the needs of populations that are considered unserved and underserved.
According to the DD Act, populations that are considered underserved include those with individuals from racial and ethnic minority backgrounds, disadvantaged individuals, individuals with limited English proficiency, individuals from underserved geographic areas (rural or urban), and specific groups of individuals within the population of individuals with DD.
In addition, the state plan must include annual activities that:
- establish or strengthen a program for the direct funding of a state self-advocacy organization led by individuals with DD;
- support opportunities for individuals with DD who are considered leaders to provide leadership training to individuals with DD who may become leaders; and
- support and expand the participation of individuals with DD in cross-disability and culturally diverse leadership coalitions.
Annual Federal Reporting Requirements
TCDD must submit a detailed report to the federal government each year that indicates the degree to which the goals and objectives of the state plan have been met. Summaries of activities initiated and empirical data about how many people benefited from specific activities must also be submitted.
FY 2017 to 2021 State Plan
Goal 1: Promising Practices
Create and support promising practices that enable people with DD to be fully included in their communities and to have control over their own lives.
Goal 2: Create Systems Change
Improve and expand community-based systems to better support people with DD or families of children with DD to be fully included in their communities.
Goal 3: Promote Advocacy Including Self Advocacy
Increase the access that individuals with DD and families of individuals with DD have to information, training, and support to advocate for themselves and to collaborate with allies to impact public policy, service systems, and community supports.
Goal 4: Emerging Issues
Ensure there is ongoing support and technical assistance for the Council to identify and engage in issues according to the Council’s priorities and mission.
Download the State Plan
TCDD FY 2017 to FY 2021 State Plan Goals and Objectives (PDF, 2 pages, 172 KB)