- Committee Members Present
- Gladys Cortez, Committee Chair
- Kimberly Blackmon
- Maverick Crawford
- Andrew Crim
- Mary Durheim, Council Chair
- Scott McAvoy
- Justin Porter, TEA
- Holly Riley, HHSC
- Robert Schier III
- Molly Spratt
- Toby Summers
- John Thomas
- Audrey Young, DSHS
- Committee Members Absent
- Jennifer Hines, TWC
- Council Members Present
- Lora Taylor
- Guests Present
- Laura Marquez
- Kimberly Mosley
- Regional Coordinators Present
- Morgan Bradley
- Rosa Guel
- Skyler Mueller
- Anthony Ross
- Shelby Vaughn
- Richard Williams
- Staff Members Present
- Beth Stalvey, Executive Director
- Martha Cantu
- Robert Garcia
- Lauren Gerken
- Sabrina Gonzalez
- Genessee Klemm
- Linda Logan
- Evan Marczynski
- Sylvia Medina
- Richard Rendon
- Mary Rochford
- Fernando Rodriguez
- Joshua Ryf
- Koren Vogel
- Rosalin Willis
Call to Order
Pursuant to the Governor’s March 16, 2020 suspension of certain provisions of the Texas Open Meetings Act, the Project Development Committee of the Texas Council for Developmental Disabilities convened virtually using the Zoom platform on Thursday, August 6, 2020. Committee Chair Gladys Cortez called the meeting to order at 9:35 AM. A quorum was present.
Committee members, staff and guests were introduced.
- Public Comments
Written comment was received from Kimberly Mosley, Executive Director of The Mosaic Path, introducing herself and organization to the Council.
- Consideration of Minutes
The minutes were reviewed with an editorial correction on page 2 with the removal of the “can” in section 5.B.1.
- MOTION: To approve the minutes of the May 7, 2020, Project Development Committee with an editorial correction on page 2 with the removal of the “can” in section 5.B.1.
- Rosalin Willis
- MADE BY: Andrew Crim
- SECOND: Robert Schier III
- The motion passed unanimously.
- Chair’s Remarks
Committee Chair Cortez reviewed and discussed the FY 2020 Admin and Expenses Budget report and the Summary of Funds report for FY 2018 – FY 2021 along with the projected balances for FY 2019 and FY 2020.
- Members Quarterly Activities Report
Committee members provided updates on their disability-related activities during the previous quarter.
- Staff Reports
- Status of New Projects
Grants Management Director Rosalin Willis discussed projects that began and ended during the previous quarter, as well projects that are in the final year of funding and projects that have requested a budget extension due to COVID-19.
- Update on Current Projects
Communications Director Joshua Ryf reported on current grant activities, including technical assistance calls to address limitations in grant activities due to COVID-19. Ryf highlighted activities from The Arc of Texas’ Partners in Disability Leadership project and Texas Advocates’ Peer Support Specialists for Individuals Living in Institutions project.
- Status of New Projects
- FY 2022-2026 State Plan Discussion
The Committee discussed and examined their responsibilities in monitoring and reviewing State Plan activities, including the process for implementing, monitoring, and developing projects within the parameters of the State Plan. Communications Director Ryf lead a presentation on the process of developing projects and the Committee identified strategies to improve grant project sustainability.
- The Committee also discussed potential activities for the FY 2022 – FY 2026 State Plan as well as the status of projects in the current State Plan. They further discussed the sustainability of projects entering the final year of funding.
- Future Project Funding Priorities
The Committee reviewed and discussed the current list of projects that have been approved for funding and determined that there is no need to change the priorities. The Future Project Funding Priorities remain in the following order:
- Prevention and Response to Sexual Offenses: Gap Analysis for Medical and Therapeutic Professionals
- Prevention and Response to Sexual Offenses: Improving the Criminal Justice Response to Sexual Offense Cases Involving People with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
- Higher Education
- Higher Education Collaborative
- Disability Advocacy Conference
- Disaster Preparedness, Response and Recovery (First Responders)
- Disability-Related Participatory Research
- EngAGEment with Millennials
- Future Agenda Items
The Committee requested that future agendas include the sustainability of projects, including the use of a tool to measure sustainability, and discussions related to activities in the current State Plan.
- Other Discussion Items
No other items were brought forth for discussion.
Chair Cortez announced that the November 2020 Council meeting has been rescheduled for the week of October 28-30, 2020 and will again be held using the Zoom platform. Cortez adjourned the meeting at 11:23 AM.