The guide provides secondary transition resources to facilitate progress towards post-secondary goals.
The Texas Transition and Employment Guide is for students in public schools who may have received special education services due to a disability. The transition from high school to adult living presents many opportunities and decisions. Continually updated, this handy reference has steps that students, parents, and professionals can take to find the right work, educational, and living options to meet the student’s post-secondary goals.
The guide contains up-to-date information to help students and parents make the most of this time, including the names, phone numbers, emails, and websites to navigate:
- Self-advocacy, person-directed planning, and self-determination
- Transition services
- Employment and supported employment services
- Social Security programs
- Community and long-term services and supports
- Postsecondary educational programs and services
- Information sharing with health and human services agencies and providers
- Guardianship and alternatives to guardianship
It is never too early to begin planning for the opportunities and decisions that graduation will bring. The Texas Transition and Employment Guide is available in English and Spanish on the Transition in Texas website.