On September 22, the Texas Council for Developmental Disabilities (TCDD) provided public comment to the Legislative Budget Board (LBB) on the Texas Health and Human Services Commission’s (HHSC) Fiscal Year 2018-2019 Legislative Appropriations Request (LAR).
TCDD’s comments focused on eight Exceptional Items that were included in the LAR. These Exceptional Items, which could impact people with disabilities in Texas, are listed below.
- Interest List Reduction (Exceptional Item 15)
- Maintain Waiver Caseloads (Exceptional Item 4)
- Attendant Wages (Exceptional Item 38)
- Maintain Early Childhood Intervention (ECI) Caseloads (Exceptional Item 6)
- Day Habilitation Compliance (Exceptional Item 40)
- State-Supported Living Center (SSLC) Business Plan Expansion (Exceptional Item 29)
- New SSLC Construction (Exceptional Item 29)
- Intensive Behavioral Intervention for People with Autism (Exceptional Item 26)
Exceptional Item 14 in the LAR includes new Promoting Independence services for people who would otherwise be entitled to more expensive institutional services. One of the Promoting Independence services will provide Medically Dependent Children’s Program (MDCP) services for 550 children who are at risk of entering a nursing facility. This specific Promoting Independence service would help families and save taxpayer funds.
For information about advocacy issues important to the Council, check out TCDD’s 2017 Public Policy Priorities. Also, TCDD’s Position Statements represent the Council’s position on federal and state issues.