The guide includes information designed to help students prepare for higher education.
Higher Education Resource Guide
The Higher Education Resource Guide for Students with Disabilities is now available from the Texas Council for Developmental Disabilities (TCDD). The guide includes information for future college students, parents, high school counselors and other educators. For students who are not college bound, information is available about other educational options and choosing a career. The guide also includes information regarding the full process of preparing for higher education, from planning ahead in high school, to what to do when accepted by a college.
The guide addresses the following topics:
- Thinking ahead about higher education and career options
- How to select the right school and the application process
- What to do when you are accepted to a higher education institution
- How to make your experience in higher education a success
The guide also includes countless resources. In addition to resources related to the items listed above, information is included about the following:
- Texas schools, colleges and universities
- Online and national schools, colleges and universities
- Disability services offices at Texas colleges and universities
You can download the guide in both English and Spanish from the Publications and Multimedia page of this website. You can also order printed copies of the guide by using the Materials Order Form. Additionally, TCDD’s The Next Step Video and Discussion Guide includes personal stories of five Texans with disabilities who attended colleges, universities or technical schools. Discussion sheets include tips for parents, teachers, counselors, and vocational and transition staff.