The Texas Council for Developmental Disabilities (TCDD) has funds available for event stipends grants to support individuals with developmental disabilities and family members to attend disability-related events in Texas. Stipend grants are also available to support disability-related speakers at events. Funds for event stipends are made available to TCDD by the Administration on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities.
In order to apply for event stipends grants, organizations must read and agree to the TCDD Assurances.
DD Council Intent
Event stipends funds are provided to Texas organizations to enable individuals with developmental disabilities and their family members to attend established in-state professional or informational conferences, workshops, seminars, or legislative advocacy skills training events that provide participants with information and awareness about best practices in services and supports to individuals with developmental disabilities and/or directly promote self-advocacy and self-determination. TCDD believes that participation in such events can enhance opportunities for individuals with developmental disabilities to exercise choice and control in their lives, and can promote independence, productivity, and community inclusion of people with developmental disabilities. Event stipends support is limited to Texas residents who are not eligible for conference, workshop, or training reimbursement from other organizations of which they are an employee or member.
Organizations must apply; individuals are not eligible to be direct recipients of these grants.
Applications for event stipends grants must be received by TCDD at least 90 days in advance of the starting date of the conference, workshop, seminar, or legislative advocacy skills training event. If the application requests funding for stipends for a series of legislative skills training events, the application must be received by TCDD at least 90 days in advance of the first event. The request must:
- Demonstrate that the conference, workshop, seminar, or legislative advocacy skills training event has educational and/or advocacy objectives related to developmental disabilities issues;
- Outline how the stipends will be used consistent with the mission, philosophical principles, goals, and/or objectives of the Council;
- Provide assurance that funds will be used only to support the participation of persons who have disabilities that meet the federal definition of a developmental disability, or family members of persons who have developmental disabilities, and who have no other organizational or agency source of funding to attend the conference, workshop, seminar, or legislative advocacy skills training event;
- Provide assurance that a priority will be given to individuals who have not previously received TCDD stipends support; and
- Describe the potential recipients of the stipends.
It is not the intent of the Council that these funds be used for weekend retreats, summer family camps, or similar recreation activities:
- TCDD may consider more than one application annually from the same organization for an event stipends grant when the event is a national conference hosted by the state affiliate in Texas, and
- TCDD will consider an additional application for an event stipends grant annually from the same organization if the second request is related to a legislative advocacy skills training event.
Program report summarizing the results and benefits of the activity is required.
- Organizations that receive funds will be responsible for complying with all rules and procedures of TCDD.
- Awards must be spent within 30 days of the conference, workshop, seminar, or legislative advocacy skills training.
- A minimum of 10% matching funds as a share of direct costs is required.
- Funds are limited to one $7,500 event stipends grant per organization, per year, for one in-state conference seminar, or workshop. TCDD may consider an application for a second $3,000 event stipends grant during the same year for a legislative advocacy skills training event only; however, first priority will be given to requests from organizations who have not received an event stipends grant during that annual period.
- In either of the above situations, an organization may also request event stipends funds for a series of legislative advocacy training events that are coordinated over a 4–5 month period. In such situations, the limitations on funding amounts noted in the preceding paragraph apply.
- Exception for co-sponsored events: If two or more organizations jointly sponsor a single event, each organization is eligible for an event stipends grant award for that event if they have not received an event stipends grant during that annual period. No one organization may receive more than $7,500 for a jointly sponsored event. If multiple applications are submitted for the same event by co-sponsoring organizations, funds are limited to not more than $18,750 for all event stipends grants awarded for that event. Co-sponsoring organizations that have received an event stipend grant during the same year may apply for a $3,750 event stipends grant if, and only if, the event is a legislative advocacy skills training event. If one or more co-sponsoring organizations requesting event stipends is only eligible for a $3,750 event stipends grant, funds are limited to not more than $9,375 for all stipends awarded for the event.
- Organizations that receive funds will allow TCDD one exhibit booth per conference at no additional cost to TCDD.
Application and Submission Process:
- To obtain the required stipend information, please review the TCDD Assurances. Once you check the “accept” box in agreement to indicate intent to comply with the stated requirements, the complete application can then be downloaded.
- Applications must be submitted 90 days prior to the first day of the event. Applications received after this date will not be reviewed.
- Any requested revisions to an application made by TCDD must be returned within five days of the request to avoid dismissal of the application.
- Applications must be submitted electronically to Grants2@tcdd.texas.gov.
TCDD reserves the right to waive limitations on this Request for Proposals on an individual or case-by-case basis based on the merits of the proposal submitted.